Glass Garden Sculpture

I’ve been seeing these glass sculptures all over the flea market circuit this year, and really think they are a great way to reuse vases and old glass plates. I’ve been finding pieces here and there at rummages (great for plates and vases) and Goodwill (great for punch bowls), and finally had enough pieces to build my own. I should say also, I’ve been seeing these priced for between $80-120, so if you like these it is worth making them yourself. You can get the material (including the glue) for under $20.

I gathered a bunch of old vases, and found a few red ones for $1 a piece.

IMG_1793

I used LocTite glue, but I’m still playing with different glues. I’m not convinced this one is the best for a bigger gluing project like this. I’m working with a different one on a new piece right now, and if it works I’ll share that one with you instead. For now, this is what I used. It took about two days to set where I could move the piece into the yard.

IMG_1795

Put glue on both pieces, and wait about five minutes for it to get tacky.

IMG_1796

Then, press down to secure the pieces together. I wore gloves for this, and would also recommend doing this outside. The fumes are wicked awful.

IMG_1797

As you let pieces set, glue new ones in place and keep building your tower.

IMG_1798

It looks really cool when the light hits it.

IMG_1799

I’m putting this one in the garden.

IMG_1800

Comments

1. kim says

Cherie- I love yours!!! The red is so pretty-don’t you just want to make a ton of them- I think they are addicting:) Beautiful job :)

• says

National Memory Screening DayFree, confidential mreomy screenings for anyone concerned about mreomy loss and early Alzheimer’s disease detection and intervention, sponsored by Visiting Angels in cooperation with the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.WHEN:Tuesday November 13 2012Noon 4pmWHERE:Avalon Missionary Church. 1212 Lower Huntington Rd. Fort Wayne IN 46819INFO:National Memory Screening Day is an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA). Visiting Angels is proud to be a partner in this important first step in finding out if someone has a mreomy problem, and in helping patients and families become aware of the resources and assistance that is available.While a mreomy screening is not a substitute for a consultation with a physician, it can help to determine whether additional testing is warranted. With as many as 5.1 million Americans living with Alzheimer’s disease, and many more with mild cognitive impairment and dementia, early detection and intervention can be critical to making informed decisions for greater health and quality of life.For more information on mreomy screening and resources to assist with ageing in place, cognitive impairment, mild dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease, contact Visiting Angels at 260-482-CARE (2273).

• says

This was fantastic!! I chnaged it up a bit and baked it in the oven because I was just too tired to stand over the stove cooking! I assembled all the ingredients and cooked it at 350 degrees until the internal temp was right about 40 minutes. Oh, I used boneless thighs!Fabulous recipe! Making it again this week!! :)

2. says

You and Kim… GREAT garden sculptures from both of you here lately! Wouldn’t this be just lovely with votive candles glowing all around the top ledge on a late summer evening? Great job!

3. says

What a coincidence to see these on two of my favorite blogs. Great minds …

I love red glass. The color is just so intense. You’ve really put it to great use, Cherie. It will just sparkle in your garden.

P.S. I’ll be blogging something I made using some of your beautiful poetry Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know …

• says

Christmas Cookie Walk at Agape Church of the BrethrenDon’t have time to make homemade cooikes or candy for the holidays? Don’t like to bake? Have a last minute get-together and need dessert? We have the solution for YOU! Come to the “Christmas Cookie Walk” at Agape Church of the Brethren, 11610 Lima Rd. (between Carroll and Dupont Roads) on Saturday, December 8, from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon. We will have many different varieties to tempt your taste buds. Some of the cooikes featured will be: holiday cut-outs, buckeyes, peanut butter blossoms, monster cooikes, and many more. We will also have a limited number of homemade Chocolate Covered Caramel Apples decorated for Christmas. Mark your calendars and get there early for best selection of these yummy treats at only $6.00/lb. Proceeds will be used for Women’s Fellowship projects and Outreach Ministries.In addition, holiday and gift items, handmade by Agape craftpersons, will be sold. A variety of wooden, quilted, knitted, crocheted, and “crafty” specialties are available with proceeds going to the Agape Women’s Fellowship projects. AND the youth group will be selling HUGE jelly beans as a fund raiser for their activities.Lots will be happening – hope you can join us! For more information call the church office at 260-489-6908.

4. says

ahhh, just found your glass totems…lol. Great work. I found I felt safer with my totems having a bottom that is heavy. Connecticut breezes are pretty pushy, and I don’t want to loose my pretty glass to a storm. I use a solid color piece at the bottom and fill it with gravel and sand from my driveway (hubby not pleased at all the little empty spots he’s seeing…lol) I have a set of dishes that I use for bases, upside down on the piece full of dirt, and it makes for a pretty hefty bottom for that delicate glass on top.

• Cherie says

Yeah, always use a heavy piece at the bottom. I like to use an old punch bowl for regular pieces. If I’m making a lighter-weight piece, I use a heavy old ashtray sometimes (like I did on here.)

5. Sandy Lueker says

I use Marine Goop on mine…they dry good after a couple days and I’ve had no problem with them coming apart…

• Cherie says

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for sharing. This was my first post about glass sculptures, and I’ve since found that Goop Household Hogar works out great for me. I keep my sculptures out there all year ’round – through the snow and heat. They’ve held together for a couple years now, and the glue doesn’t come apart or turn yellow.

• GeekGirl says

Thanks, Mickie. They actually hold up really well in winter. I leave them out, they get buried beneath the snow, and in spring they’re back. The trick is using the right glue. :)

6. says

Would you happen to have any fmlaiy photo’s that were taken in Sterling that you would be willing to share? I live in Sterling and am interested in the history. Any photo’s that also include buildings are of interest.I remember your Aunt Francis and Uncle Dugan and Butch, they lived down the road from me when I was growing up.