Glass Garden Sculpture

I’ve been seeing these glass sculptures all over the flea market circuit this year, and really think they are a great way to reuse vases and old glass plates. I’ve been finding pieces here and there at rummages (great for plates and vases) and Goodwill (great for punch bowls), and finally had enough pieces to build my own. I should say also, I’ve been seeing these priced for between $80-120, so if you like these it is worth making them yourself. You can get the material (including the glue) for under $20.

I gathered a bunch of old vases, and found a few red ones for $1 a piece.

IMG_1793

I used LocTite glue, but I’m still playing with different glues. I’m not convinced this one is the best for a bigger gluing project like this. I’m working with a different one on a new piece right now, and if it works I’ll share that one with you instead. For now, this is what I used. It took about two days to set where I could move the piece into the yard.

IMG_1795

Put glue on both pieces, and wait about five minutes for it to get tacky.

IMG_1796

Then, press down to secure the pieces together. I wore gloves for this, and would also recommend doing this outside. The fumes are wicked awful.

IMG_1797

As you let pieces set, glue new ones in place and keep building your tower.

IMG_1798

It looks really cool when the light hits it.

IMG_1799

I’m putting this one in the garden.

IMG_1800

Comments

1. kim says

Cherie- I love yours!!! The red is so pretty-don’t you just want to make a ton of them- I think they are addicting:) Beautiful job :)

2. says

You and Kim… GREAT garden sculptures from both of you here lately! Wouldn’t this be just lovely with votive candles glowing all around the top ledge on a late summer evening? Great job!

3. says

What a coincidence to see these on two of my favorite blogs. Great minds …

I love red glass. The color is just so intense. You’ve really put it to great use, Cherie. It will just sparkle in your garden.

P.S. I’ll be blogging something I made using some of your beautiful poetry Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know …

4. says

ahhh, just found your glass totems…lol. Great work. I found I felt safer with my totems having a bottom that is heavy. Connecticut breezes are pretty pushy, and I don’t want to loose my pretty glass to a storm. I use a solid color piece at the bottom and fill it with gravel and sand from my driveway (hubby not pleased at all the little empty spots he’s seeing…lol) I have a set of dishes that I use for bases, upside down on the piece full of dirt, and it makes for a pretty hefty bottom for that delicate glass on top.

• Cherie says

Yeah, always use a heavy piece at the bottom. I like to use an old punch bowl for regular pieces. If I’m making a lighter-weight piece, I use a heavy old ashtray sometimes (like I did on here.)

5. Sandy Lueker says

I use Marine Goop on mine…they dry good after a couple days and I’ve had no problem with them coming apart…

• Cherie says

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for sharing. This was my first post about glass sculptures, and I’ve since found that Goop Household Hogar works out great for me. I keep my sculptures out there all year ’round – through the snow and heat. They’ve held together for a couple years now, and the glue doesn’t come apart or turn yellow.

• GeekGirl says

Thanks, Mickie. They actually hold up really well in winter. I leave them out, they get buried beneath the snow, and in spring they’re back. The trick is using the right glue. :)

6. Bob Macdonald says

Does anyone know a glue stronger than Loctite Glass? I am trying to reglue a flipper(glass) to a turtle body. It’s a beautiful piece from a famous Italian glass sculptor but the flippers keep falling off. Thanks. Bob