Mixed Media: Superhero Glasses

I just picked up some 10 x 10 canvasses at Michael’s this week, and couldn’t wait to break into them. I started by covering the canvas with some different papers, book pages, and music sheets. Then I added some stamps and the beginnings of the face.

I liked where that “faith” stamp ended up, and I wanted it to be on her dress, but more subtlety than it was here. So I dabbed it with paper towel and water, and then painted the dress over it.

She started out blonde, but then I started to hate her coloring. So I added some darker color, but kept her eyes and skin really light. She instantly appeared to me like one of those chicks who wears just a little too much lipstick, a too-tight sweater, and glasses that look ridiculous but she loves them anyway. (I guess you can never stop being a writer, even when you’re crafting.)

So I started on her glasses, and I liked them because they looked like a superhero mask on her. Can you just see her flying in to help out a person in need?

I gave the picture to my writing partner Genevieve, and she gave it some serious consideration….

…. and then decided that it passed her muster.

Comments

1. says

What an intelligent dog and a wise art critic too. You will soon have enough of these powerful looking women for an exhibit. Wouldn’t that be a cool theme?

• Cherie says

What would we do without our doggies? LOL Thanks for the inspiration, Eileen! That would be very cool to do an exhibit. I would love that.

• says

I really love Priest’s nvoles. That may be her writing style, it may be because I’ve read her blog since before she started trying to be published. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. She’s done urban supernatural (what I’m reading now) and she’s often considered the queen of steampunk here in the states.

• says

Thanks for the sensible cqiitrue. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I’m very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there.Check out my homepage

2. says

Oh my so many to choose from. Here is just a smapling of the items I like; Black Crochet Headband, Winter White Clip, Brilliant Blueberry Clip, Mustard Yellow clip, Tiffany Blue Clip, Nude Cream Clip and the list goes on and on.

3. says

Berowne~ Thank you so much.jane~ You’re right, it would have made a beautiful Valentine mag. Bet Tess will work to top this image!Fireblossom~ Um. One is named Shylo beausce he is so shy! (No kidding!) He and his brother, Bear (who is totally bonded to my husband and that is why we are keeping them) are an adorable pair. Kelvin~ What a lovely comment; thank you.izzy~ I am flexing my imagination to wonder what you had in mind. :)Helen~ You are so sweet; thanks. rosaria~ Living that way is like a Zen practice in adulthood, most definitely.Rob-bear~ Indeed!Kathe~ I just love that you felt this. Much appreciated.Karen~ We can probably count on it. :)Wander~ Thanks!