Green Garden Sculptures

Spring has finally sprung! The weather has been just great this past week, and that makes me think of one thing: gluing glass together. Okay, maybe two things: gluing glass together and making corned beef and cabbage. It was St. Patty’s Day on Saturday after all! So while I had my traditional Irish dinner boiling away on the stove, I popped outside to make a few glass sculptures.

First, I wanted to finish one I’d started last year. Remember this sculpture? Here’s a picture from where I last left it:

IMG_2321

After I made it, the weather turned cold and I never got a chance to really finish it the way I wanted. I liked the “glass within a glass” look and wanted one more layer on there. Good thing I’ve been collecting vases and glass all winter! I continued the green theme and added another vase.

IMG_2325

Then, I had this big piece of glass that used to be part of a long candle set. I glued that on, and a candy dish on the top.

IMG_2329

I liked the way it looked, but still wanted something more to jazz it up.  So I went to the dollar store and bought a package of green glass beads.

IMG_2334

I added a thin layer of glue around the edges of the glass.

IMG_2340

Then I placed the glass beads on one by one. (It didn’t take long.)

IMG_2342

I put some around the two middle layers, and also the top.

IMG_2343

And viola! Finished!

IMG_2345

But I wasn’t done with green glass. I think it was the ghost of St. Patrick sitting on my shoulder, urging me on to do one more. I gathered some more glass and got to work on a second piece.

IMG_2320

I glued the edges, and with this particular glue let it sit for a few minutes before I secured it in place.

IMG_2326

For some layers, I put glue on each piece. Then, I pressed the pieces into place.

IMG_2328

I glued layer by layer, until I had the look I wanted.

green2

Once again, I got all the pieces from Goodwill, estate sales, and rummages.  I have this piece on my porch right now, and I like the way the light hits it.

green3

Comments

1. Wendy says

I’ve been collecting a bunch of glass pieces myself for this very thing. I was wondering if you’ve had any issues with breakage? My concern is that if I completely seal one piece to another, the air inside will expand in the heat and have nowhere to go, bursting the glass. I’ve been considering NOT sealing all the way around, but that would potentially allow water to get in…

• Cherie says

Hi Wendy,
      I haven’t had a problem at all with heat and breakage, but I do live in the cooler part of the country. The only breakage I had was because of a big windstorm that ripped out our porch, and as a result one of the sculptures got tipped over. Even then, just a piece of it broke and I was able to salvage it and remake it.

I chose to seal them all the way around because otherwise you’ll have more mold and moisture creep in. Let me know what you decide!

2. says

Enjoyed this post so much. I’ll keep an eye out for useless glass objects to recycle–very fun! I’ve got lots of space in the garden. Thanks so much.
    Best from Tunisia,
    nadia

3. says

I am curious about what kind of glue you went with that works the best.
    When reading on E6000 it sounds very dangerous to use. I’ll wait to hear from and expert (that’s you) on this subject. Also your creations are very beautiful. Keep up the great creatativity. My friend and I are making garden fancies also, we call ourselves the “Junk Gypies”. We have so much fun shopping for our glass and going out to lunch. When we unwrap our fines its like Christmas. Have fun.

Pat

4. says

Don’t know if you have these glues, but I use ‘Goop’ Marine glue, and GEII Silicone glue. Just recently tried the silicone one, and I like that it has a skinny tip to make it easier for doing things like the glass beads one by one. And it is nice for the thin edges of some of the glass pieces, too. So lately I have been using both at once, depending on which part of the totem I’m glueing. Love Goodwill for sources, but I don’t see the great colored glass pieces you have here. Must get back to checking out tag sales again… Love your work!

• says

I had a rather hard time chnosiog just one type of physician I would want to work for. So many of them fascinate me, and with me not really going into any medical field other than support, I never gave this any thought in the past. After reading the list, I am more favorable of working for a neonatologist. It is difficult to think about how neonatologist physicians sometimes have the most difficult job in the world, but I can only imagine how amazing it would be to be a part of saving a baby’s life. I had a coworker once whose baby was born at 36 weeks, and her baby had a lot of heart and lung problems. There were concerns about whether or not they would ever fully develop once she had him, but after many months in the NICU, and many scares that happened during it, the doctors were able to save him and he is now a very healthy 5 year old. It is because of that I have a higher interest in the neonatologist field.I hate to say which type of physician I would care less to work for, and it is because I worry that many will take it the wrong way. When I was 16, I used to help my mom at an assisted living home as a caregiver. We would get to work at 7:00 A.M. every morning to prepare breakfast for four of the elderly men and women that we were caring for. We would then make sure that all bedding was changed, rooms were cleaned, meals were prepared, and appointments were handled. We worked 12 hour days, and they were always grueling. The owner of the home made sure that everyone had their medicine and made it to their doctor appointments on time. However, she was more worried about getting paid for her services than actually helping the elderly. She would yell at them if they did something wrong, and even call them terrible names. My mom reported her and we both quit our job, but it has always left a sting in my heart since then. It is because of my experience with that situation that I do not think I could ever work for a gerontologist. I know that the situations would be much different, but ever since my experience with caring for elderly individuals it is very hard for me to think about assisting a physician in geriatrics because I worry that someone else might treat the elderly in the same way the owner of the home did. I am a firm believer that the elderly deserve the ultimate care and comfort when going through any treatment and aging in general, but I do not think I could ever work in that environment again.

• says

Vanilla Bean’s Holiday Open House!Saturday December 1st from 10:30AM-2:30PMVanilla Bean Unique Cookies and Cupcakes3410 N. Anthony Blvd.Fort Wayne, INThe chill is in the air and the snow will soon be falling, so come inidse and enjoy some hot cocoa and cookies with Santa at Vanilla Bean Unique Cookies and Cupcakes. Your little elves will enjoy decorating their own holiday cupcake. They’ll meet Santa, enjoy a delicious cookie, a cup of hot cocoa or holiday punch. Santa’s helpers will package their cupcake for the ride home. They’ll also receive a special treat! Admission -$5 per child. Mr. or Mrs. Claus will receive 10% off all in store purchases, holiday orders, and gifts for spending the afternoon away from the North Pole!