Art for My Mixed Media Christmas Card

I wanted our Christmas cards this year to be fun, homemade, and different. Since I’m wild about mixed media these days I thought I’d create a piece of artwork for our holiday card. I kept thinking of a way to incorporate a couple pictures along with a house design of some sort.

First, I dug through the backgrounds I have and liked this one to start with.

IMG_4111

Then I added some more blue and painted the base of the house.

IMG_4112

I placed a few pieces of paper next. For the roof, I used some scraps from this cool ruler paper. Then, I added a few pieces of music paper and some from a book. I painted white over the bottom pieces to give the look of snow, but I kept the title of one of the pieces visible because I liked what it said. I also added some black to the roof and then wiped it off to give it a weathered look.

IMG_4117

I found a few pictures of us (and our awesome snowman collection) and cut them out.

IMG_4114

Then added them to the picture. I had originally thought it would be cute to add our pictures to the windows of the house, but I made the house too small for that.

IMG_4118

Then I stamped over the roof part “with love from” and our name.

IMG_4122

IMG_4121

I added a “Merry Christmas” with stamps on the center of the house.

IMG_4120

To finish, I wrote the year on there and added a few pieces from a doily.

christmas-picture

Then I chose a background from one of those online printing places.

lp-(1)

Comments

1. says

I was wondering how you would be able to make multiples that did justice to your darling mixed media collage. They came out great! I love all the various elements you’ve used. Placing you two, the dog and your snowman collection in the “snow” is just the perfect touch.

• GeekGirl says

The printing place did a great job, and they were actually really cheap. I think I’m going to do this next year, too.

2. says

Ditto to what Eileen and Cyndi said… and WOW, what a great idea!!! I love how this turned out!!! I am definitely stealing this next year!

• says

Honey friend, find a SAKS and smell Jimmy Choo! The Mr got me some when we were in NYC. (I think that’s the only place sllieng right now,so I was told) LAWDY MERCY! yummmmmmmmmmyI do love the smell of the the Daisy & Coach too:)Thanks for linking up and back today. I hope your day is great!ps-we need to start our planning SOON!Xo

• says

My pick is number 6. I love your pics, but I have to be honset and say this pic is special to me because that sweet beautiful little girl is my niece and the ring on her mother’s finger belonged to my mom. I am a fan on facebook congratulations on your first year!

3. says

Aww. Sorry that you missed the TV prmeeir But thanks. You’re doing pretty well too. Don’t be disappointed by the progress you think you’re not making. You’re doing better than you think.

4. says

I do like the manner in which you have preeentsd this specific issue and it does provide me some fodder for consideration. On the other hand, because of everything that I have witnessed, I basically trust as other feedback pack on that individuals remain on issue and in no way start upon a soap box of the news of the day.All the same, thank you for this superb point and whilst I do not agree with it in totality, I respect your point of view.Also visit my weblog